MANAGER, TECHNICAL WRITING
FULLY REMOTE (US based candidates)
Industry: Insurance Technology
This is a growing SaaS company, looking for an experienced Technical Writing Manager.
- As part of the Client Success operations, you will support your team by helping to create an environment in which they can succeed.
- Experience with technical writing and expertise with the range of work that Technical Writers perform, most of your time will be spent supporting the team. You will still contribute by writing some technical documentation yourself.
- You will own the delivery of technical writing commitments, create measurements for effectiveness, and always look to improve productivity and process.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Hire, manage, and support a world-class team of expert Technical Writers (currently 3 FTE). This includes:
- A desire to learn as well as lead. Promote open dialogue, discussion, and 360 feedback while being ready to take on the responsibility to make necessary decisions and provide accountability.
- An eager inclination to promote the work of the team and its members outwardly, while shielding them from unnecessary distractions so they can perform to the best of their individual abilities.
- An excitement to get the best from your team by understanding them as individuals, by bringing your authentic self to work and encouraging them to do the same, and by embodying the value, “we matter to each other”.
- Work from a detailed project plan. You will promote both a results-focused approach and work-life balance by helping to balance assignments across the team when workloads are uneven, manage conflicting priorities, and prevent over-resourcing.
- Ensure the Technical Writers effectively prioritize high-priority feature release work with other content, experience, and process improvements.
- Help the Technical Writers refine their writing skills by spot-checking content and providing editorial feedback.
- Encourage efficient collaboration by defining processes that align with the rest of the product teams.
- Create practices that encourage keeping documentation up to date and easily discoverable.
- Enhance our team’s processes to enhance the quality, efficiency, and impact of what we deliver as a technical writing team.
- Write, as needed and in support of the team, and review internal and external documentation for a range of audiences from highly technical to non-technical.
- Work very closely with technical and non-technical teams to understand the subject matter.
- Use a variety of tools – Confluence, a structured authoring tool, a diagramming tool, GitLab Pages, and Swagger and API documentation tools, etc. – based on the needs of the projects.
- 3+ years of leadership experience, leading technical content experts and help center writers.
- Have experience in managing individuals (and creating and managing online documentation) in an Agile environment. This is a mandatory requirement for this role.
- Demonstrate your experience in managing, mentoring, and training teams that deliver technical documentation or technical education materials.
- Be self-motivated and have robust organizational skills.
- Display substantial written and spoken communication skills.
- Provide examples of experience engaging with a wide range of stakeholders across a company, its customers, and/or open-source communities.
- Be entrepreneurial minded, intellectually curious, and a driven self-starter, with a natural desire to learn new things, seek feedback, and drive improvements.
- Experience with a majority of the following:
- Working on production level documentation.
- Designing technical documents.
- Building frameworks for documentation across different layers of the tech stack.
- Understanding different paradigms of software and object/data model documentation.
- Understanding modern web development architectural concepts and frameworks.
- Understanding interface and data dictionary definitions.
- Deriving and documenting logic and interfaces based on requirements, reverse-engineering of code, and interviewing subject matter experts.
- Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship now or in the future.