Instructional Designer/Technical Writer
San Francisco, CA (Hybrid On-Site/Remote)
We’re looking for a hybrid instructional designer/technical writer with top-notch writing skills to help our users get the most out of our technical product solutions.
Working with a collaborative team of 20+ writers that values peer-to-peer editing, an iterative writing process, and cooperative idea generation, you will design curricula and write content for a new online learning strategy being developed for technical products.
You’ll collaborate closely with Product, Engineering, UX Design and Research, developer advocates, and other writers to create engaging documentation and instructional materials based on user research and solid scientific principles.
- Perform needs analysis with subject matter experts (SMEs), help define learning objectives, and decide on appropriate e-learning solutions
- Work directly with cross-functional stakeholders to research and write deliverables for a comprehensive body of documentation and learning materials, including user guides, product overviews, tutorials, and more
- Apply modern learning theory to structure highly effective learning flows
- Learn about financial markets, so you can convey technical material in the context of a financial professional’s workflow
- Develop guidelines and best practices to ensure other content producers comply with a unified learning strategy
- Develop processes for ongoing evaluation and maintenance of all learning assets
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of technical or professional writing experience
- 3+ years of instructional design, learning experience design, human-centered design, or related experience
- Strong, flexible writing skills appropriate for an end-user client audience
- Demonstrated experience applying learning theory and instructional design
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to juggle multiple projects at once with variable timelines
- Experience working directly with SMEs to create content for multiple mediums (tutorials, videos, interactive learning modules, instructional graphics, and more)
- A proven track record of success interacting with all levels of staff, including UX researchers and designers, developers, business specialists, and senior management
We’d love to see:
- Grounding in cognitive and learning sciences
- Degree or certification in instructional design, design thinking, human learning theory, or related
- Editing experience and ability to establish style guidelines for other content creators
- Willingness to learn about financial markets as well as coding