Human Factors and User Experience Designer
Direct Hire – Perm Role
Location: United States – New Jersey – Franklin Lakes
Industry: Medical Equipment / Devices
Seeking a Staff Engineer to focus on Human Factors and User Experience Design (HF+UXD).
The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about design for user experience with proven capabilities in visual design, information architecture, and interaction design for both standalone software and integrated software/hardware solutions. They have a passion for interacting with customers and doing user research to drive the human factors engineering process. They also enjoy innovation workshops and working with global multi-functional teams that aim for a diversified and high-quality solution set using principles in design thinking.
- This individual will work independently with multi-functional teams on key programs and initiatives, using evidence-based tools to drive user-centered product development principles proven to reduce risks, minimize development costs, and improve market acceptance of solutions.
- The HF+UXD Team works within the Center of Excellence (COE).
- The goal of COE is to stimulate and lead concept and technology innovation spanning multiple product platforms.
- The role of HF+UXD within this group is to bring knowledge and expertise in user-centered design that begins with the initiation of programs and transitions into design and development.
- The HF+UXD engineer will have the opportunity to engage in numerous product development programs across the COE and 4 business groups. They will also support the Lean Engineering group that works to optimize engineering tools, best practices, and R&D procedures.
The HF+UXD engineer will serve as a key contact to project teams for human factors engineering and user experience design – engaging in product design work and independent review, including the following:
- Usability Planning & Execution:
- Collaborate with multi-functional core teams to ensure human factors and usability plans are appropriately scaled for key programs.
- Implement human factors and user experience design results for key programs by working independently with minimal direction, leading the work of external vendors, and consulting with project teams to ensure quality deliverables.
- Generative Research & Front-End Innovation:
- Participate as a member on front end innovation teams to conduct generative research including but not limited to observational research (contextual inquiry and ethnography), competitive usability assessment, subject matter expert (SME) and key opinion leader (KOL) interviews, focus groups, and surveys.
- Design Thinking, Human Factors, & Usability Engineering Tools:
- Participant in Innovation Workshops with teams that focus on a variety of subjects including insights distillation, concept generation, or solutions optimization to improve safety and/or user delight.
- Drive understanding of the human-system interface through the creation of user profiles, environmental characterization, workflow mapping, task analysis, functional modeling, and use cases / scenarios.
- Apply anthropometry, biomechanics, and human capability data to support, analyze, and optimization system design and ergonomics.
- User Needs/Requirements & User Risk Assessment:
- Distill research insights into themes that inform user needs, user risk, and user interface design through processes such as KJ Analysis or Affinity Diagrams.
- Have proficient understanding of the requirements management process that focuses on the creation of user needs and partner requirements as part of a multi-functional team.
- Evaluate Use Error as part of use-related risk analysis (aEURA, uFMEA, and/or Hazard Analysis) and contribute to mitigation efforts in partnership with medical affairs and multi-functional teams.
- Design of User Interfaces:
- Design and develop user interfaces which include but are not limited to devices, digital solutions, packaging, instructions, and training.
- Create digital user interface designs using low and high-fidelity prototyping tools for a variety of software environments and platforms including desktop, mobile, embedded systems, and web.
- Partner with leaders with vision to advance our solutions for customers and product development teams in areas such as design for a system of systems ecosystem and data collection and analytics.
- Formative Evaluation, Design Validation, and Summative Human Factor Design Validation:
- Design, plan, implement, analyze, and report using qualitative and quantitative research as part of formative study evaluation which may include heuristic evaluation, expert review, simulated use studies, and actual use studies.
- Serve as executional lead and/or the contact for external vendors and business group Verification & Validation (V&V) teams during Design Validation and Summative Human Factors Validation.
- Partner with internal and external teams such as Global Clinical Development, Pre-Clinical Development, and Medical Affairs to perform Pre-Clinical and Clinical Studies.
In addition to program responsibilities, the HF+UXD engineer will also work to support efforts to educate and improve human factors engineering and user experience design throughout the community. They will accomplish this by doing work that exemplifies best practices, influencing other engineers on project teams, participating in and helping with training/workshops, and providing constructive challenge primarily to teams as independent reviewers and advocates of the customer and end-user.
A key characteristic of an associate in this role is an all-in, get-your-hands-dirty mentality. The associate should be able to figure out how to prototype a concept quickly, in sometimes non-traditional ways, to get a quick reaction or test feasibility with end users to enable Agile development.
- 5-8+ years of technical experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field (human-computer interaction preferred)
- Working knowledge of applicable standards and industry guidance for medical devices and usability engineering including IEC 62366-1, FDA Guidance for Human Factors (2016), IEC 62366-2, HE75, ISO 13485, FDA Guidance for Design Controls, & ISO 14971
- Working experience performing usability studies and translating HF+UXD findings into user-needs/requirements, user risk, and/or design solutions related to the user interface
- At least 2 years of experience completing and/or leading/managing the work of outside partners and/or internal team members related to digital human-systems interface design and usability research/testing strategy and execution.
- Proficient at least one of the following to support innovation, design, and development:
- Sketching or Graphic Design
- 3D Modeling, Drafting, and Physical Prototyping (SolidWorks Preferred)
- Wireframing and Digital Prototyping (Adobe XD and Axure preferred)
- Technology Development in areas such as but not limited to Mechanical, Electrical, or Software Engineering
- Demonstrated creation of new concepts and Intellectual Property (IP)
- Master’s Degree or PhD in a technical field (human-computer interaction, systems engineering, human factors engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial design, or biomedical engineering preferred)
- 2+ years of experience working with medical devices
- Highly motivated self-starter able to achieve results with minimal guidance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to present complex ideas to multiple levels
- Strong creative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong technical judgement, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Strong facilitation and analytic skills with an open mind
- Proficient knowledge of engineering first principles
- Working understanding of the End-to-End Product Development Process
Employment is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that candidates are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In limited circumstances, weekly testing for COVID-19 may be available instead of vaccination. Requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.